Thursday 8 December 2011

If we were in America or Europe

It was a day in the mid of November in the 1950s.  The invention of Telephone, telegraph  along with the  widespread habit in people to read the newspapers and discuss the events happenings worldwide  over a cup of tea in tea shops and in the  Libraries had already made everyone feel that  the world  was  becoming smaller and smaller even in  those days. They discussed about the launch of Soviet satellite Sputnik, death of Joseph Stalin, creation of polio vaccine, Hungarian revolution, culture of western people, and many other varied range of interests.
                                                                                                                    
I do not know for sure whether, the time line actually matters for this story, but that was a day in the mid of November in the 1950s. Mid November has its own charm in Kerala. It’s the starting of the Malayalam month “Vrischika” which is considered as a holy month for the Sabarimala pilgrims and is the season of festivals in our geographical area.
                                                                                                                     
That day my Grandma and Grandpa had a fight at home for some petty issues which always is worldwide for domestic squabbles, and  in order  not to lose his temper my grandpa left home and went to his paddy farm to shoo away  the parrots and crows and to do some other work as well.

My grandma was considered as the “Iron Lady” of that area which is a small village called “Thottuva”. While for many a people, she was a problem solver, still more people considered her as a problem maker. Many have tasted her kind gestures while many others have tasted her bitter anger as she had her own ideologies.  For many of the petty issues in our neighborhood, she was the decision maker. Someone who bore the brunt of one of her decisions once murmured; “who is she to order things around here?  Is she the Magistrate of Thottuva?” and that’s how the name Thottuva Magistrate was bestowed upon   her. Till her death in 1983, she was carrying this name. After that the title was passed on to my sister Jayasree.

[To know more about my Grandma, I urge you to read the Malayalam Novel “Verukal” By renowned novelist Sri Malayattoor Ramakrishnan who was the younger brother of my grandma. That was his life’s story where he has portrayed his sister by the name “Amulu”]

On the contrary my grandpa was soft-spoken, kind and helpful and if you know me personally, it is not really necessary to describe my grandpa. ;-)

As my grandpa had returned, he was very hungry and had totally forgotten about the fight he had with grandma, asked her that what is there for breakfast. My grandma who decided not to cook anything for the day as she was still angry with grandpa told arrogantly; Go!! Have it from Raman Pillai’s Teashop.

Helpless and angry with hunger gnawing his stomach, he went and opened the rectangular wooden silos, where the Bananas are kept to ripen; took out some and satiated his hunger and relaxed for a while.

This was around 9 o’ clock in the morning. What can we call it telepathy or coincidence; Raman Pillai, the village Teashop owner appeared on the scene with a plea to my Grandma.

He was a short and fat guy and used to wear a single piece of towel which reaches up to his knees with  no shirt or anything to cover his upper torso.

He started the conversation.

Namaskaram!! Oh my lady, as you are aware, this is the festival season in our village and we are expecting a large crowd in the temple for next forty one days.

 Ok Raman, what can I do for you? My grandma interrupted.

I have opened a small tea stall near the temple and for that I would like to borrow some money from you for the initial expenses. I will be blessed if I can get one hundred rupees from such an auspicious lady? Raman pleaded. I shall return it by today evening; he added.

Ok Raman, Granted…… but you should return it by today evening. Grandma Said.

As Raman agreed the deal, grandma handed over a 100 Rupee note to him which he thankfully accepted and went off.

Raman's Teashop was famous for its unique taste of  snacks especially "parippuvada & sughiyan" were very tasty and famous.  My grandma too expected a good business for him in the season.

Whether my grandma cooked or not at that afternoon or whether my grandpa was still hungry; is out of scope of our subject now and my dear readers, you should not be curious about that.

In the evening Raman appeared at our gate which is about 50 meters away from the front yard of our home.

He was seemed to be happy and as he walks towards our home, he was literally measuring the width of the road due to the high “spirits” within him. He was humming a famous Hindi song of that time which he learned from the radio. Tucked under his arm was a brown cover wrapped with jute fiber. He reached our front yard with his body dripping with sweat; and stopped as if a fully loaded lorry climbing up the Himalayan Ghats had suddenly stopped.

As Raman reached our home, my grandpa called my grandma who was inside the home.

Hey!! Here comes Raman to meet you. He shouted looking inside the home.

Hearing this grandma reached our front yard.

Seeing my Grandma, Raman’s joys know no bounds and he bowed his head in front of her.

He took the brown cover from his underarm and offered it along with a currency note of Rs 100 and a One rupee Coin to Grandma and told her; Please accept these “Vadas” and “Chips” specially prepared for you.

My grandma was little reluctant to accept the Brown cover as she had noticed the place from where he had taken it, and at the same time she  didn’t  want to disappoint him also.  She asked him to keep the cover on the table.

 Oh my noble Lady Because of your token gift, I made a big profit today. Thank you so much and may you live long, Raman added with overwhelming happiness.

I had approached many people and nobody was willing to help me. But it  was you who  helped me out. Thank you, Good lady and I have no words to express my gratitude…………. And if we were re in America or Europe……….. ;; Paused Raman.

Out of curiosity; my Grandpa and Grandma in the same voice asked; Raman, If we were in America or Europe, what  would have  happened?

Raman was little reluctant to answer that, but hesitantly he completed the sentence.

Oh my good lady……. If we were in America or Europe………..Out of my happiness…………………….. I would have rather hugged and kissed you!!!!!

Saying this Raman burst in to tears.

Grandma’s face become red due to shyness and embarrassment, and my witty Grandpa who couldn’t hide his naughty smile, looked at his wife and then at Raman and told him.

Raman, now that world is becoming small and the good thing is that we can always adopt even from a kid. Now in your mind you think that, this place is America or Europe and ………………….

Due to the effect of village toddy already sloshing in his belly, Raman couldn’t balance himself for a second and he took a step forward and fumbled towards the side.

Grandma thought that Raman took the matter seriously and was coming towards her. She tried to frantically flee from the scene and banged her knee into a pillar and her knee was fractured.

For the next few weeks my Grandma couldn’t cook anything…..and  from Breakfast to dinner they had to buy everything from Raman’s Teashop.

Epilogue
During their next fight……Grandpa requested. “Amulu” Don’t curse. Last time you didn’t cook anything and cursed and shouted at me to have the food from Raman’s Shop. You don’t know when God is present in our conversation and say “Thadhastu*”(  so be it or your wish is granted). God granted your wish last time, and I too had suffered a lot for few weeks as we had to have the same sour stuff from Raman, It’s Just a suggestion Amulu

rajaramvasudev@gmail.com                                                                             24-11-2011
rajaramvasudev.blogspot.com


8 comments:

  1. As I remember, your grandpa (Manian Athimbar to us) was a more talented cook that your grandma, (Thangamma Athai to us ). Of course, nobody would dare say this directly to her face. Anyway, it is fascinating to hear part of her story from you. You must put down all that you remember. Take the mini Thangamma's help (Jayashree) if required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its Sad that......Many of my friends are unable to post the comment on Blogger......Due to Bloger's Technical reason

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading about grandma and grandpa.. It is really good you remember everything and write about it as memories to read later. Thanks for sharing bro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice writeup... Light and simple.. You have a great future....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hai, Is this is Thottuva Rajaram, I cann't believe, super writings yaar.Wonderful.keep it up.
    All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sudha krishnakumar10 December 2016 at 09:33

    It's good. Very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete