Thursday 9 February 2012

Aeroplane and Tapioca

W
henever I ask my Dad, what he wanted from Bahrain when I go on vacation, I get the same answer always.   A fountain pen!!!

This time I asked what you do with these many pens rather than writing day to day books of accounts or occasional petitions to help the needy villagers.

You have got a good narrative skill as well as good handwriting. Why don’t you write something interesting? I asked..

I never thought I would be able to motivate and influence my Dad. To my surprise I got an envelope last week from my dad through post.

Yes he has started writing….He assured me he will continue writing Small-Small incidents that happened to him!!!!!!!

He wanted to fit the story in one page. So the climax of the story is in the margin


Please see below my Dad’s maiden Story.

If it is not legible
Right Click on the below picture.
Open link in a new TAB
Zoom





To the benefit of  those who doesn't Know Malayalam, the story is translated into English by one of my  Good friend, teacher and Philosopher Mr K Mohandas (www.kothandath.blogspot.com ).

Aeroplane and Tapioca


Dad’s younger days. 7 years old.   Primary school student of  2nd standard, Malayalam class.  By today’s distance standards, 7 Kms to traverse from home to school.  Must leave home by 8 am. Breakfast was usually previous day’s rice, curd and mango pickles. Nothing extra for lunch.  In monsoon, we used to wear cap-like umbrellas fashioned from palmyra tree leaves; there were no  ‘POPPY-mark’ umbrellas or school bags like today.  When hungry during lunch time, my friend, Mani Variyar (now a reputed
ThoppiKuda(Cap Like Umbrella)

lawyer) will share with me the rice he brought, as a share of their entitlement from the temple under their care.

Returning from school, we used to pass by Kochapputty’s tapioca stall situated at the junction. He is the ‘aeroplane’ in my story.  How did he earn that name? In our primary school days, we children used to watch with excitement, an aero plane that always sped across the sky at about 11.30am that would disappear from sight at the wink of an eye.  Like this plane, he used to run across the shop, carrying a sack of tapioca, and that’s how he earned that name!

 While returning from school, the hungry children would gather in front of Kochapputty’s stall and he would throw small pieces of tapioca among the gathering that he would have stored for us, that we, including me, used to fight for.

One day, while coming from school, we saw Kochapputty’s stall open, but he was not in.  Pangan, seated near the stall, told us that Kochapputty fell down as he was running carrying a sack of tapioca. People gathered around and took him to the hospital.  From his hospital bed, he said, “My end has come. I won’t come back to the stall. Today you must give fine tapioca to the children returning from school”, and passed away, to another world.



Me and my Dad Sri S Vasudevan

8 comments:

  1. yadha puthra thadha pitha......

    ReplyDelete
  2. കപ്പക്കിഴങ്ങ് വായിച്ച ഉടനെ ഞാന്‍ അച്ഛനെ ഫോണില്‍ വിളിച്ചു. ഇനിയും സ്റ്റോക്ക് ഉണ്ടത്രെ. നല്ല സ്വയമ്പന്‍ സംഭവങ്ങള്‍.... പെട്ടെന്ന് ഓര്‍മ്മകളില്‍ പലതും മിന്നിമറയുന്നു... തോട്ടുവയും പിന്നെ കുറെ സായന്തനങ്ങളും...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mohandas..........
      That would be a good motivation to him.
      regards
      rajaram

      Delete
  3. Kochappu wonderfully portrayed :)hats off to athimbar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful rajaram. Encourage him to write more

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rajaram,
    Great story by your father, though ending on a sad note. But the excitement of such small stories and the nostalgic feeling that they generate is what makes it tick. Stories and incidents of the past are what keeps us going on and we tend to relate newer experiences in the background of old ones, a kind of benchmark for comparison. That probably explains how circumstances fashion an individual, a personality and how we interact in this world with others. Keep writing and encourage your dad to recount past experiences in its rich and varied colours. Mohandas.

    ReplyDelete